Tuesday, August 31, 2010

At last!



Whew! It has been a month of craziness. Heat wave of 95+ weather that, given humidity levels, felt like 100+ and caused intense feelings of suffering and despair. We've finally arrived at that fall nip in the air and I could not be more thankful.

For me, this month has been one of figuring out what to do next, farm-wise and life-wise. My time with Farmer Stacy is over halfway done; I'll be working with him until the first week of November, which is when his CSA ends.

I've gone from considering buying my own place, to renting somewhere with a big yard to grow, to thinking of using a friend's land to farm. My "plans" changed pretty much weekly, and drastically.

But now a REAL plan is as good as set in stone: I am moving to Green Market Farm in Gallatin, Tennessee, a town about 40 minutes northeast of Nashville. Hooray!

I will be interning/apprenticing: helping grow organic veggies and fruits with Brandon Tavalin, a young farmer who partners with his grandparents and other interns bring good food from the earth. The focus is on wholesale and restaurant sales, as well as several farmers markets (East, West and Woodbine) and supplementing other farms' CSAs.



Maggie and I are moving into the old farm house on the main piece of land (10 acres out of the 30 Brandon cultivates). Our part of the house, two bedrooms and a sitting room was an addition built in the 1930s and has high ceilings, hardwood floors, and fireplaces in both bedrooms. The house kitchen is MAGIC and there is a nice big dining room table -- dinner parties, for sure!

Here's an article about the farm and Brandon's mission. There's no farm website and a rather sparse facebook page, but pictures and details are soon to come on here! And as soon as we get settled in, hopefully in a week or two, I'd LOVE to have visitors out - it's a lovely place.


No comments:

Post a Comment